Friday, March 9, 2012

DIY Chalkboards

I have recently become obsessed with Chalkboard spray paint. You can pretty much turn anything into a chalkboard. How fun is that? I decided that I needed something to take up space on the side of my refrigerator, but I was tired of clutter, so naturally I decided that a chalkboard was necessary.

I went to Michael's and bought this swirly wood frame thing, along with the most basic 11x14 in. picture frame I could find. I basically wanted the picture frame JUST so I could use the glass portion and spray paint it.  I added magnet strips to the back of the glass, then sprayed the front of it with chalkboard paint. I spray painted the wooden swirly frame white...and voila!

Before:
From this...

After:
To THIS! Fun for writing sweet notes or making a grocery list.

The other place I envisioned a new chalkboard was in Briggs' playroom, which was our former dining room. We had a  large outdated mirror in there that was begging for a makeover, SO, I turned to my trusty spray paint and sprayed the frame white and the mirror Chalkboard (duh). The mirror needed several coats of chalkboard paint. It didn't turn out perfect (there's some lumps and bumps because I sprayed it outside) but it will suffice for Briggs to play with when he gets older!

Before:
The frame was gold, but I forgot to take a pic of that. This is it with blue painters tape all over.


After:
For fun I added Briggs' Playroom Rules ;)

I advise you to go buy some chalkboard spray paint and start transforming old mirrors, frames, whatever into fun chalkboards!


3 comments:

  1. super cute! my only thought is.. what if he or a friend bangs a toy against it and the mirror breaks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a good thought... I haven't really gotten that far yet. For now, when Briggs and his friends play in there I'm always with them, but I may have to reevaluate as they get older! The chalkboard mirror might have to come down at some point.

      Delete